Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:49:20 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|"al" wrote in message
. ..
| "Andy Hall" wrote in message
| Frankly, the aluminium ones are rubbish if you need to access the loft
| regularly. A lot of space is wasted, they are wobbly and the narrow
| treads hurt the feet.
|
| In these respects, the wooden ones are far superior.
|
| I think to balance this discussion - how much are people spend on said
| ladders? I'm sure the expensive versions of either are quite good. I'm
| thinking of doing it myself as it's a pain in the ass getting a step
| ladder each time. Also, since carpeting the landing, I nearly fell off
| last time when the step ladder went flying as I transferred my weight off
| the top step.
|
| I've seen a local offer for a metal one for under £100 including fitting.
| Strikes me as alarmingly cheap considering what most "workmen" charge by
| the hour these days!
|
|We bought ours, many years ago, from a shed, it was cheap and very easy to
|fit. Why do you need someone to install it? I think eight screws were needed
|to fit two hinges - which haven't let us down.

I had to cut a joist, which needed strengthening also construct and insert
new trap door, so not as easy, but not difficult.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net