Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

"al" wrote in message
.. .
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Frankly, the aluminium ones are rubbish if you need to access the loft
regularly. A lot of space is wasted, they are wobbly and the narrow
treads hurt the feet.

In these respects, the wooden ones are far superior.

I think to balance this discussion - how much are people spend on said
ladders? I'm sure the expensive versions of either are quite good. I'm
thinking of doing it myself as it's a pain in the ass getting a step
ladder each time. Also, since carpeting the landing, I nearly fell off
last time when the step ladder went flying as I transferred my weight off
the top step.

I've seen a local offer for a metal one for under £100 including fitting.
Strikes me as alarmingly cheap considering what most "workmen" charge by
the hour these days!

We bought ours, many years ago, from a shed, it was cheap and very easy to
fit. Why do you need someone to install it? I think eight screws were needed
to fit two hinges - which haven't let us down.

Mary