Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Default Ubuntu Live CD

"tg" wrote in message

"Offbreed" wrote in message
news:EOydnaz2BaGEkE7enZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...
Gunner wrote:
Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via
their
Live CD.

I downloaded the ubuntu Live iso and tried it just now. Not bad.
For internet I had to kick-start my ethernet card myself (strange), and
when I tried some video capture the preview frame was in
black and white (scoff). I liked it's simplicity though. Less cluttered
and clearer layout than knoppix and I installed a couple of
extra programs from the CD which I've never been able to do before with
linux, which proves it is more user friendly.
Dissappointing that it couldn't work with my TV card tho, and it also
didn't find my firewire port.. Audio CD's also played really
slow and the sound was poor. I could probably sort these things out if I
could be bothered but I can't. I'm a well trained windows
puppy.

Just figured out how to boot from the Koppix download (iso) file (used Nero
to create the boot CD). My thanks to those who helped me with that. My
primary purpose was to play around with Linux a bit (first look) and to use
the partition program that comes with Koppix to resize/remove partitions on
the C drive (which worked! although for some reason the drives (CD and 2nd
physical HD) after the removed "D" partition have kept their "E" and "F"
designations in Windows.

As to Koppix functionality, my brief look has shown that the audio card
doesn't work properly (sound volume very low and distorted) and it won't
drive the monitor at 800x600. Still however pretty interesting...

Laurie Forbes