Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

Owain wrote:
cs wrote:

A couple of small questions regarding loft ladders. I need to install
one as the only access I have today to my loft is via a small hatch
and ladders put on top of our granite kitchen worktop, hardly safe nor
something that pleases the wife...

Before you spend loadsamoney on a loft ladder you might consider whether
it would be possible to make more sense to make a larger hatch elsewhere.

Owain

....and then install a loft ladder in that hatch.

Ok, I'm living in a shoe-box new-build home, with buggerall storage, so
the loft space appealed to me for storing empty boxes and whatnot*

Bought a cheap set of alu ladders - something around the £30-40 mark, I
think (around 6 years ago, now) and installed these into the hatch.
Hatch had to be modified, of course, to remove the lip that supported
the hatch lid and to replace with a loft hatch that was hinged, new
surround around that, paint and make-good. All in all, a good afternoons
work.

Now, I'm 6ft (give or take) and weigh in at a portly 15 stone (give or
take!) and the ladders cope admirabley with me carting stuff in and out
of the attic at regular (see size of house) intervals.

I can heartily recommend a set of loft ladders... and I have no
complaint about the el-cheapo Alu set that I bought (from Wickes, if
memory serves me correctly)

* whatnot = Old oscilloscopes, books, computer bits, airbed, sewing
machine, spare set of step-ladders, luggage...