Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Salt content of softened water

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve

There's twice as much sodium in the water as the calcium, magnesium, and
iron that was in the the hard water. (it's not much)

The kitchen cold water faucet and the outside faucets are probably
plumbed with hard water rather than softened water.

Best regards,
Bob