Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default No mail box!

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

My neighbor did that same thing about 10 years ago. He covered his I-beam
with wood cut from a tree so it looks like a fencepost.

I bought about six mailboxes for my rural house. The neighborhood hoods
would play "mailbox baseball" about every three months. Drive by with a
baseball bat, hanging out the window, and hit the mailboxes that were along
rural roads.

I set a piece of schedule 40 pipe into concrete. I covered the pipe with 1
bys. I lined a new bright shiny sheetmetal mailbox with 3/8" plate and
mounted it to the top of the post. I put it a little droopy in the front
where it looked rickety, and yet the rainwater would drain out.

Wasn't long until it took a hit. The door was askew, and that was easily
fixed. I continued to replace the box or the flag or door with ones from
garage sale mailboxes when it took too good a hit. But I only had to do
that about every year.

I guess it was a rite of passage, and with every new crop of driver's
licenses came the experience of meeting the mailbox that wouldn't move.
Once I found half a bat laying on the ground.

That had to hurt. I would chuckle each time I saw a new ding on the box,
and knew that some rowdy punk had gotten his/hers/its lesson.

Steve