Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

Default No mail box!

wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced a BUNCH of boxes and poles and finally solved it once and
for all. kids would take them out all the way down the street....

My NEW pole was a heavy steel I beam set 6 feet in the ground. The next
person who hits that post is going to destroy their car, its not going
anywhere.easy to know who did it.

I painted it brite white, added lots of reflectors.

That was about 10 years ago, so far no one has hit it. amazing how
something substantial fixes carelesness.

My neighbor did that same thing about 10 years ago. He covered his I-beam
with wood cut from a tree so it looks like a fencepost.

It is fun to see the pieces of sheetmetal, pieces of glass, anti-freeze,
oil, and bumper parts that get left on the ground about once a month. It
has been hit at least 20 times and it is still standing straight as the day
it went up.

Once a car hit it so hard it pushed the radiator back into the fan and they
drunk kids couldn't start it, so they got out and ran. My neighbor had a
lot of fun with the car with a sledgehammer and then called the sheriff to
report an abandoned junk vehicle left in front of his house!