Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Wirenuts Part II

"Thomas Horne" wrote in message
link.net...
: Pop wrote:
: "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
: ...
: : Soldering takes longer to do, and longer to undo. A
properly
: installed wire
: : nut works just fine
: :
: Very true, especially the "undo" part if you don't have the
: needed slack in the wires. But, if done right, you just clip
and
: go! You shouldn't use the previously twisted parts of the
wires
: anyway, so, really, not a lot of difference to snip 'n' go.
:
: Besides, most codes say NO as near as I can tell.
:
: Pop
:
:
:
: Pop
: Can you provide a citation. The only limitation on the use of
solder
: that I can recall from years of using the US NEC is that you
cannot make
: grounding connections that are dependent on solder for the
mechanical
: connection. The practice that code provision was aimed at was
the tack
: soldering of bonding conductors to enclosures.
: --

If you mean a NEC or similar, no, I can't. It's generally the
local codes that forbid it AFAIK. When I said "most codes" I
meant the locals. Where I am now in far northern NY, it's not
allowed because I asked. I've read other people claiming it's
against code too, but no one ever backed it up with a NEC para or
anything similar, so I don't know about those.
Mainly I said that because I didn't want to make it sound like
it's something just anyone can jump into and do. Lots of people
here never seem to bother checking with their CEO for things like
that and figure if it's NEC it's good to go, for the US anyway.

Hope that makes sense - sorry if it was misleading. If you
really want the local code wording, I could get it, but ... not
much point to it since it won't have any bearing on anyplace
else.

Also, due to its malleability, I wouldn't be surprised if it was
forbidden to ever use solder without a mechanical capture at the
same time, but that's just a guess too.

Pop