Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Default 4" vs 6" ducting for effective dust collecting

I've spent a lot of time at Bill's Place too. The only question in my
mind is whether the nexus between occasional exposure to wood dust and
lung problems has been adequately established by the medical community.
I'm not arguing against it, I'm just not yet fully convinced.

I haven't done any controlled experiments like he did, but as an
engineer, I find no fault with his statements about what is necessary
to capture that fine dust that causes so much concern. I totally agree
that it's easy enough to collect the chips that you'd be sweeping off
the floor, but it requires much more air flow AT THE TOOL to capture
all the micro-particles. To move that much air, you need big blowers
and big pipes.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle