Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
David Billington

Default Gas Welding aluminum

Have you read all the responses to Brent Philion's original post. There
has been alot of good information given. My initial response was mainly
to agree with the reply by Buy_Sell but ad that against what most have
said about the need for special goggles I have never found this a
requirement.

carl mciver wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message
k...
| Sounds about what I would have said. I found there is a subtle change in
| the surface of the aluminium before it drops on the floor, I learned to
| recognise this and all went fine. I have never used anything other than
| standard OA welding googles for Al and never had an issue with being
| able to see what I was doing clearly. People mention using special
| lenses to cut the flare from the glowing flux but I have never
| experienced this. I have never welded Al with OA extensively and these
| days would typically use TIG unless I had a benefit from using OA,
| typically it leaves a more ductile weld which may be beneficial if you
| are doing panel work.

I'm interested in how you do this, since most information on your method
is highly lacking on the web. Please, tell me more!