Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default Loft ladder question: wood vs. aluminium

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Frankly, the aluminium ones are rubbish if you need to access the loft
regularly. A lot of space is wasted, they are wobbly and the narrow
treads hurt the feet.

In these respects, the wooden ones are far superior.

I think to balance this discussion - how much are people spend on said
ladders? I'm sure the expensive versions of either are quite good. I'm
thinking of doing it myself as it's a pain in the ass getting a step ladder
each time. Also, since carpeting the landing, I nearly fell off last time
when the step ladder went flying as I transferred my weight off the top
step.

I've seen a local offer for a metal one for under £100 including fitting.
Strikes me as alarmingly cheap considering what most "workmen" charge by the
hour these days!