Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Salt content of softened water/you can see a lot by observing

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Hi,
One word, nothing to worry on softener salt. Just don't use table salt in
your diet. My family does not use salt and we're all healthy and fine.
You don't cut down on salt, just don't use it. As is we're taking more
enough salt from all the food(mostly processed) we eat today.
Tony

Thanks, Tony, and all. I anticipated one of those Google searches where
everything but the thing you want comes up. I found a site that was FAQs,
and answered my question in short order.

The salt is used to recharge the resin that takes the hardness out of the
water, so it actually isn't used directly in the softening process.

I had a unit die on me last year. Boy, oh boy, did I see what billions of
balls of resin looked like. Got to take apart every filter and faucet to
get them out. I still have a Jaccuzi that I can't figure how to get into
and change the stems. But we don't use it, so, it isn't an issue yet.

Thanks for the answers, all, and there IS something to be said for Google
searches.

But then, if we all went to Google, no one would come here.

;-)

Steve