Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adam Preble

Default Magnavox FP5230 repair

I just got this Magnavox FP5230 television off of Freecycle. I figured
it'd be nice for awhile, and get me more involved in home electronics.
I did some stuff with electronics in college, but apparantly not enough
to scare me away from it. I wanted to share my thoughts on what I'm
getting into, and I hoped you guys could make sure my head's on right to
do this; you might even answer some of my questions.

The original owners had the television inspected, and they were told
"the board" is fried, due to the voltage regulator attached to it. They
were told this is somewhat common for that model. The parts should
still be readily available, and I'd be looking at $400 if I had a tech
do the parts and pay for labor. I was hoping to muck with it myself
though. Is there a diagnostics procedure specific to those components I
could take to second what was told? I don't know the techs these people
chose, so I want to try and independently verify.

What I have done so far is hooked up an external input. I managed to
get audio out of it, but no video at all. Nothing comes up when I push
the "menu" button. So it looks like I'm not getting anything on the
screen at all.

I'm assuming "the board" is the "video processor board" that I see
coming up on google. Where do I look for the part number for that and
the voltage regulator?

Regarding the voltage regulator, is there anything further upstream I
should be checking? I don't know where they kept the television, but
I'd assume the thing just got too hot after years of use. That sounds
common enough of a problem, but I wonder if instead there'd be a
component that could trigger that regulator, and that I should be
replacing it too/instead.