cdg

Default bending sheet metal into a cylinder

(Dan Caster) wrote in message om...

Relax, have a beer. Quit thinking the world revolves around you.

Thank you, and cheers! I have not expressed any such a concept, nor do
I think it.

You didn't have to pay anything for the ideas, so what is the big deal.

I asked a simple question. No one was required or coerced to respond.
Two members provided helpful advice. Another was simply abusive. I
thanked the first two, and I told the third that his input wasn't
helpful, appreciated, or accurate (as presented).

And while you may only want one cylinder, someone else may search for
ideas in the future and need two cylinders. Hell, I might even try it
someday to make some stove pipe that is heavier duty than what is
available in the stores.

Be my guest. If you can construct any number of cylinders based on Mr
Contz's response, you are far more innovative than I.

I always appreciate replies to my questions even if the replies are
not something I can use.

As do I, if they are decently presented.

Someone took the times to reply and gave you an idea of how to do something in a way you had never considered.

The reply to which I objected did not endeavor to, or accomplish, that
goal. Nor do I believe it was intended to do so, but rather to scoff
and strut.

How terrible can that be.

Terrible enough that I've received numerous supportive emails from
other members of this newsgroup that were equally or more critical of
the post in question.

Even the replies that are obviously posted in jest are entertaining.

Some of us did not find the post in question amusing, helpful, or
informative.

I agree that metal is not paper, but it can be formed into a cylinder
without using a form.

Please supply usable details of the procedure involved (which your
colleague did not --- he simply suggested rolling it up very tightly,
without a hint as to how this was to be accomplished --- which was the
question he was supposedly addressing). And, when you suggest a
procedure, remember, the material we are (or were, or should have
been) discussing is .065 thickness 304 stainless, not paper, nor
aluminum flashing. The 1/8" perforation will make it somewhat more
flexible, but it is still quite rigid.

Furthermore, what about the "springback compensation" with which your
colleague was ostensibly so concerned, while rolling his 8.5 x 11
sheet of computer paper and magically producing a metal cylinder from
it? How did it suddenly disappear, as we are rolling twice the
material in an even tighter circle?

Nice to see that you are open to learning about tools even if not relevant to YOUR problem of the moment.

I am open to learning about anything, if the material is presented in
an amicable matter.