Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Ubuntu Live CD

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:55:14 GMT, Fred R "spam
wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their
Live CD.
I simply stuck in the live cd which I downloaded the ISO file from
www.ubuntu.org, ...

Gunner, try www.ubuntu.com instead of dot org

It is pretty good, at least on a par with knoppix and definitely better
in some aspects.

===========================
Knoppix incident. FWIW:
I am in the process of upgrading my operating system. Installed
W2K in place of W98 [I try to always stay one version back].

Things seemed to be going well and I all had service packs /
patches downloaded/installed using a t1 I have access to, and was
locked up. Could not boot, even in the safe mode. Use Knoppix
on cd to see what was wrong. ==Everything was going well when
my big monitor gave a loud pop, and died.== Knoppix was running
in the default hi-res mode. ==I don't know if there was a
connection or not.=

Used the smaller back-up monitor and got the box open. Never was
able to see anything wrong. Eventually had to install second W2k
system on the other hard drive, and boot off it. Ran some
utilities and discovered that *ALL* files on the c: drive were
non-contigious. Never seen that before. Ran defrag and display
looked like a fine tooth comb (with hair stuck in it). Even
after a defrag the c: drive would not boot. Eventually had to do
a complete format and reinstall to get things working. Got to
haul the box back over to the t1 connection [only 28.8 at home,
less when it rains] and reinstall the M/S service packs and
patches. Also had to update my compiler to work in the console
[was the dos box].

Uncle George