Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Salt content of softened water

I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve