Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Gas Welding aluminum

On 22 Jan 2006 00:37:43 -0800, "Buy_Sell"
wrote:

I gas weld aluminum. I use my Henrob torch for this but any gas torch
will do. The trick is to keep your gas pressures set low. If you need
more heat then change to a larger tip but keep the oxy and acetylene
pressures no higher than 4 psi.

The key here is gas velocity, set your pressure for whatever torch you
use to provide a low-velocity flame. 4 psi is a pretty good
guideline.

My favorite torch is the Meco Midget but I use several others as
well. Don't own a Henrob and don't lust after one, though I would if
I didn't have plasma for cutting.

4 psi is what Henrob likes for any size tip because it's designed
to be so. But there's nothing magic about the pressure. The
key is to keep gas velocity down so it doesn't blow the puddle.
You can throttle some with the valves on the torch if the torch has
good valves.