Posted to rec.woodworking

Default buck brothers planes

lucky4fingers wrote:
Any opinions on Buck Brothers hand planes? I know they're not in the
same league as Lee Valley or others but the price is nice. TIA

100 years ago, Buck Bros was one of the great names in tools. Current
production... uhhhhhh.... let's put it this way: my Buck Bros block
plane, bought when I started wwing about 10 years ago, almost drove me
screaming away from hand tools forever. I like a bargain, I'm not a
tool snob, and I generally try to find some good in every tool, but
this plane proved to be almost completely useless, except maybe as a
paperweight, doorstop, or bad example.

OTOH, I have some Buck Bros chisels of about the same age that are
pretty decent, if a bit soft.