Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Round conduit metal box?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:44:07 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

T i m

p.s. I hope to start the job today using 25mm oval and grommets in the
boxes. The wall chaser is set for the best size above the oval and I
have a clear (thick black) line maked to line up with the side of the
guard. Henry has a load of new bags and I've checked that the nozzle
fits into the chaser. Ear defenders, goggles, gloves and masks are
standing by.

One thing I will say Tim, is at least you did get advice before doing the
job.

I thought it was sensible to poll those that know (and some who don't
of course) ;-)

Too many come here after they have made the balls up.

I can't remember the last time I made a real 'balls up'? Possibly
because I *do* think things through and try to get feedback from those
in the game etc. The *problem* with the latter is they are often
working from a different book to me, them having to make a living out
of it etc?

Good luck, hope everything goes ok.

Thanks Dave .. it has so far today anyway. 10 boxes cut in, 5 in
blockwork and 5 (in what felt like) granite!

I used my plastic drill jig thing and on the blockwork the Nutool
cheapo hammer drill. The jig stayed in place every time and I was able
to produce 5 neat, square, even holes in next to no time. ;-)

On the harder stuff I used the Challenge SDS drill (again cheap n
faultless all be it slightly heavy) but on at least 2 of the 5 boxes,
one the two plugs holding the jig in place broke free leaving me to
'guide' the drill each time (stll handy having the jig and I took the
liberty to draw round it to see if it moved at any time before I
started).

A bit more work needed with the cold chisel / bolster but I'm still
pleased with the result.

The only damage done (and that was slight) was when I used the SDS
pointed chisel to break away the middle of the first of the 'hard'
boxes and that took a little of the render with it (so I continued by
hand with no more damage).

I just need to run the vertical chases with the new chasing tool and
then I can set the trunking and boxes (with the aid of some gripfill
probably) and I might do that tomorrow or some evenings next week
ready for the plasterer next week.

Just got in and dinner was ready so now for a shower to help my
(slightly) happily, aching body ;-)

All the best .. and thanks to all that offered help and advice ;-)

T i m