Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Round conduit metal box?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:00:59 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

And if you're lucky and there aren't any snots of mortar and other crap
getting in the way of pulling new cable through. If you want to be
_sure_ that the cable is replaceable then stick to plan A and use conduit.

I dont disagree at all, it just seems Tim is getting too involved in what
should be a simple job.

Hi Dave .. and thanks for your concern. ;-)

I find most 'simple jobs' are those that have been the best thought
through or experienced before.

If I have had need to do something, the initial 'design' (in my head)
often starts complicated, then get's refined as I think up simpler
solutions.

I have rewired a few houses in my time (this one 30 years ago and
friends / family etc) and have used / seen all the solutions that have
been discussed so far.

I asked the question to make sure there wasn't some new rule that I
needed to know about or some new 'clip fix' solution that "everyone
uses" these days?

As usual the solutions range between 'what the trade can get away
with' (cheapest / quickest) and mine (money / time less important than
doing a permenant and flexible job) ;-)

To me, putting a cable in a trunking that would allow easy cable
replacement makes as much sense as when we ran the new plastic water
main in some waste pipe when we were about to build our extension on
top of it. Ok, it took another 20 mins and cost another 2.50 but will
be worth every second / penny should something go wrong in the future.
;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I hope to start the job today using 25mm oval and grommets in the
boxes. The wall chaser is set for the best size above the oval and I
have a clear (thick black) line maked to line up with the side of the
guard. Henry has a load of new bags and I've checked that the nozzle
fits into the chaser. Ear defenders, goggles, gloves and masks are
standing by.