Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Variable-speed timer switch

We have one of those whole house fans. It works great. The only
problem is that it is very noisy. It does have a variable-speed
control (rheostat?) so that we can turn it on at various speeds from
high to low.

What it doesn't have is a timer that will allow us to set it to run
for a couple of hours and then shut off. In the summer, we often need
it to run for awhile after we have gone to sleep, but not all night.

I went to the local electric store and asked if anyone makes a
combination variable-speed and times switch the guy said no. I know
that I can wire a timer switch in series with the variable-speed
switch, but then I need to cut another hole in the wall.

Does anyone know where I might find a combination switch that will
allow me to set the speed and also a timer for up to, say, 4 hours?

I tried Google for variable-speed and timer and switch, but I got
either timers or variable speed switches, not both.

Thanks

--
For email, use