Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default how to test gas copper line for leaks

"renux" wrote in message
ups.com...
We need to test a gas copper line for leaks and we're currently using
water at about 115 psi and a pressure gauge, but I am not sure this is
the right approach.

I'd like to ask what is the standard procedure to test a gas copper
line for leaks.

Is water or air used?

At what pressure?

For how long?

What would be an acceptable drop in pressure in this period of time?

Can an unexpensive pressure gauge ($15 or so) be used with water or
air?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Where I live (AZ) the gas is delivered to the residence at ~ 11 ounces of
pressure.
We do not use copper for gas lines, black iron and galvanized are the
choices we have.
Tests are done with air at 30 psi.
No leaks for 24 hours.

What does the AHJ want you to do?

What does the utility supply and what do they recommend?