Keith Marshall

Default Power supply for 18 V dewalt cordless tools

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a
PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if

needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

Ideally you would need a transformer (probably a pretty hefty one!), a
rectifier, a couple of capacitors and a regulator plus a few other items
such as a case, etc. You might get by with something simpler but it
probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

But if you're going to go to the trouble of powering it with A/C why not
just buy an A/C drill? Here's one that looks comparable to yours for about
$90:

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...l?SKU=DW235GRC

And if you don't need the 1/2" you could buy a 3/8" for even less. It's
cheaper than extra batteries and you'd still have the cordless for when A/C
isn't available.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"William G Darby" wrote in message
.. .
A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a

PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if

needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got

new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price

out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D