Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mystery wood, think it is oak

Frank Ketchum wrote:
"arw01" wrote in message
ups.com...
Finally making the base for my bench, I have had a number of 4x6 or so
dunnage pieces that I had packed home thinking it was white oak, but
they sure don't look like the white oak board I have for a later
project:

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph.../end_grain.jpg

Looks like oak. The open pores in the end grain suggest that it is red oak
rather than white.

It may be live or willow oak. Live oak has an interlocking grain and
is difficult to split--a desirable trait for dunnage. Red oak splits
easily.

Some folks consider live oak to be red oak. Others divide oaks
into four groups, rather than two--red, white, live and willow, and
chestnut oak.

I suppose chestnut oak is another possibility.

--

FF