Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Default mystery wood, think it is oak

Finally making the base for my bench, I have had a number of 4x6 or so
dunnage pieces that I had packed home thinking it was white oak, but
they sure don't look like the white oak board I have for a later
project:

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph.../end_grain.jpg

for a 5.5 meg tiff:

http://alan.firebin.net/end_grain.tif

and the face side after the bandsaw

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph...ench_feet2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
t...
Absolutely, it is Oak.

Actually the end grain pics look like RED Oak while I would say possibly
White Oak on the face pictures.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"arw01" wrote in message
ups.com...
Finally making the base for my bench, I have had a number of 4x6 or so
dunnage pieces that I had packed home thinking it was white oak, but
they sure don't look like the white oak board I have for a later
project:

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph.../end_grain.jpg

Looks like oak. The open pores in the end grain suggest that it is red oak
rather than white.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Ketchum wrote:
"arw01" wrote in message
ups.com...
Finally making the base for my bench, I have had a number of 4x6 or so
dunnage pieces that I had packed home thinking it was white oak, but
they sure don't look like the white oak board I have for a later
project:

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph.../end_grain.jpg

Looks like oak. The open pores in the end grain suggest that it is red oak
rather than white.

It may be live or willow oak. Live oak has an interlocking grain and
is difficult to split--a desirable trait for dunnage. Red oak splits
easily.

Some folks consider live oak to be red oak. Others divide oaks
into four groups, rather than two--red, white, live and willow, and
chestnut oak.

I suppose chestnut oak is another possibility.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 20 Jan 2006 07:04:04 -0800, "arw01"
wrote:

they sure don't look like the white oak board I have for a later
project:

Don't think it's white oak. Both red and white oaks have pores, but
white oak pores are blocked up.

Could be red oak (most likely) but it could also be chestnut or elm.
It's hard to tell from the end grain photo. If the rays are visible
then it's oak. These rays look a little skinny for oak though, but still
too visible for chestnut or elm.

I'd incline towards "some weird red oak". There are an awful lot of oaks
out there that aren't Q. alba or Q. rubra. They also hybridise easily,
so you can find local variants that just don't appear anywhere else.

Shoudl make a fine bench. Finishing is a it of a lottery with red oak,
some is great, some looks dull and ugly. Shouldn't be a problem for a
bench though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Absolutely, it is Oak.

I agree - definitely looks like oak - some of those ray flecks are
really impressive, even from the end grain shot. I'd say definitely
not elm, almost definitely not chestnut. I'd probably also vote for
some type of red oak.
Andy