Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Round conduit metal box?

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:12:02 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Boyz,

So would round plastic conduit be a more logical mating pair with the
round knockouts in a metal box?

I believe you can also get 'fittings' to mechanicaly join the tube to
the box (threaded flange / tube socket etc)?

Would I still get 2 x 2.5mm T&E through?

All the best ..

T i m

Bit OTT if its being plastered over don't you think?

I suppose it depends on why we use trunking in the first place?

When I started work (BT, electronics Eng) I was taught the idea of
'flexibility points', a long run being broken down into accessable
replaceble sections with the joints easily accessable.

A similar thing we do with bigger trunking with access covers and
plumbing with rodding eyes etc.

I suppose I could do what many folk seem to do (or have done) is
scrape a line down the wall, hold the cables back and skim / paper
over the top but would that be considered 'the right way to do it' ?

I have come across a pair of such wires as I removed the paper (some
of the very thin skim was 'blowing off' in places) and I really don't
like seeing it like that?

Maybe it's because I have come from more precise trades (electronics ,
microfilm / fiche support, PC's, model engineering etc) that some of
the current building solutions seem so basic (ok, often no less
functional) to me?

And I have never had to make a living from the other trades of course
(which is probably a bigger component to why works seem so slapdah
these days (see other threads here)).

Like I go on the flat (wet) roof to lave a peek at their new aircon
units and retrieve a (the install Co) 1m spirit level, a handfull of
nuts / bolts, an installlation manual .... sigh

All the best ..

T i m