Alaric B Snell

Default Gadgets and gimics

Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:58:03 +0100, "Michael Haseler"
(remove 8SPAM) wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Nothing is essential, everything is nice to have. It all depends
on what you want to do, and how bad you want to do it.

You'll want some way for cutting rawstock for both lathe and mill.
If you have a mill you don't need a drill though it might be a
convenience at times. I don't have a drillpress in my shop.

I get by with a Dremel (including a load of accessories for it - chiefly
the drill press unit) for my cutting and grinding, along with a nice big
propane torch and silver solder to join things up again.

So I get raw stock, cut it up, and join it together in new ways. And
maybe drill holes with the Dremel. I'm looking into casting as well.

Needless to say, I make small things, not big things. I can't afford to
buy the tools and stock for big things, let alone the space.

Definitely no space or money for a lathe or milling machine, much as I'd
love to have a lathe! Being able to cut arbitrary threads and diameters
of tubing would mean I'd never have to buy an adapter for gas hoses or
plumbing or motor shafts again :-) But I'd only need a little benchtop
lathe.

Files - lots of files. I'm always filing things down. Really want to get
a few more grinding / polishing heads for the Dremel. I wonder if they
do a flap wheel?

ABS