Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default Surely gas has now overtaken oil as most expensive fuel?

In article , John
writes
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:43:13 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

What an odd approach!. As I understand it its been there for some
million odd years or so, how come 20 odd years will spoil it?...

Because most mines are now either flooded, filled in or subsided.

Coal mining is a dangerous business - mines are more than just holes
in the ground. They go a hell of a long way down, a hell of a long
way out, and are very complex affairs. Generations took that kind of
work, and its inevitable dangers, for granted. That tradition was
destroyed forever by Thatcher.

Yes, seems she's spoilt us..

Though substantial deposits were left
and coal remains a viable fuel with appropriate technology.

Right..

Starting up new pits, even draining and re-starting old ones, would be
a colossally expensive business, even if we could get people to go
down there, which I doubt these days. I'm not sure even the expertise
would still be readily available in any great quantity, let alone a
workforce.

How do other countries manage then???....
John

--
Tony Sayer