Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default Surely gas has now overtaken oil as most expensive fuel?

No, From coal. The reason we are running out of gas is that Thatcher
allowed private companies to use cheaper gas to generate electricity when
privatising the industry, in order to encourage them and get rid of the coal
industry out of sheer spite. The 'Dash fro Gas', it was called. Coal mines
with many years of coal in them closed down. If coal was used to generate
electricity and gas reserved for domestic and some industry, then we would
not be in the situation we are now in.

The coal is still there, if it was cost effective to go and get it they
will. And when Gas prices itself more then coal, mining will be a
renewed industry.....

Might I remind the Hon member that Mrs T has been out of government for
a very long time now. The present incumbent has been there for quite
some time but hasn't really done that much for the coal industry has
he?...

--
Tony Sayer