Cliff Huprich

Default OT- Crime at a 30 year low

Rex Tincher wrote in message . ..
On 2 Sep 2003 15:11:18 -0700, (Cliff Huprich) wrote:

(Cliff Huprich) wrote in message ...

snip
Probably because murder by firearms rates went up quite a bit.

Most of the rest went down but NOT that. *Exactly* as anyone sane
would expect when more people in the US have more guns.

Not exactly. From a recent post to talk.politics.guns: (You can check
these numbers from the CDC link at
http://www.tincher.to/deaths.htm
although I have no reason to doubt them)

snip

That's quite old data and unrelated. (Actually,
only the numbers from 2 fairly recent years seem available
using that link.)
Note what the post said to begin with:

[
In article , Gunner
writes:

#It was widely reported in the press yesterday that violent and property
#crimes are at a 30 year low nationwide.
#
#So how come none of the media pundits and talking heads drew the obvious
#connection between a plunging crime rate and the growth of firearm
#ownership, including most states now licensing law abiding citizens to carry
#concealed.
]

A) "Violent and property crime" stats for the last year are down.
B) We blame the medis for not reporting that this is due to all the
new guns on the streets.

In point of fact, the same report than mentioned the decline in
*reported* "violent & property" crimes also mentioned that gun
deaths were up quite a bit.

I do wonder if the FBI's recent refusal to deal with things like bank
robberies where nobody was killed enters into it. It's now just a local
matter it seems ... too busy looking for people to send to Cuba.
They cannot fudge the death stats at the CDC so easily it seems.
--
Cliff Huprich