Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default How to make Oland tools ?

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:18:40 -0800, "Derek Hartzell"
wrote:

The sides and bottom of the tool are beveled and the top is flat. What is
the angle of the top face when you are cutting? It seems if you ride the
bevel that you have a positive rake of 45 degrees and a sure catch. I must
be missing something.

Thanks for your patience.

Derek

To me, one of the BIG advantages of the Oland-type tip is that you really have
to work at it to get a catch.... the bevel on the bottom rides just like a gouge
and the angle is pretty consistent with the angle of my standard tool rest... no
problems with catches at all and nice shavings peeling off..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing