Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

Default Sanding LDD treated wood

In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks for the help. Too late smart and too soon oldt. Already soaked
the wood overnight I guess I was reading Liefs instructions and it
seemed he was soaking all of the samples overnight and then turning
them. Is there no finish that will adhere to this stuff. I was hoping
for stabilization as I am making a lidded box as a test of the process.
I am thinking that to resoak the wood will destabalize it again.

Rod

Hi Rod
Bummer! I had 3 pieces of Mountain ash that were starting to spalt and
had some small punky areas, nothing bigger than a quarter. So I did the
usual, "throw it in the LDD until I can get around to turn it", routine.
Must have been in there about 10 days. Anyway the punky areas will not
take any finish at all. I was so pee'd off that I ended up remounting
and re-turning the 3 small bowls to about 3/16"-1/4" thickness and then
soaked them in warm water for a few hours. Then into the microwave, on
high until they start steaming, remove and let cool, and then repeat ad
nauseum. I gave up as the soap suds kept coming even after 30 or more
cycles. Threw them in the corner and left them for about 6 months all
through a very hot summer. When I got back to them there were no cracks
and they felt really dry but were very bleached. So I gave them some BLO
and that brought back the colour but the BLO would not dry in the punky
spots. I washed them in alcohol, in lacquer thinners, in acetone but the
BLO still would not dry where it was punky. Did the water soak and
microwave again and still got lots of soap suds. So in desperation after
they had dried out again I tried lacquer, wouldn't dry. Shellac,
wouldn't dry. And finally wipe on poly which was better but even now
after 2 years there is still one patch that will not dry. So I learned
my lesson. However the LDD is a real help with turning punky wood as it
definitely helps with the cutting and seriously reduces tear out,
meaning a lot less sanding. Would I try it again? Yes but it would be a
brush it on, leave for a few minutes, wipe off excess and turn. When the
LDD has been cut off then repeat until turning is finished and then a
final dry sanding.
I would think if your wood has only been soaked overnight there might be
a good chance the penetration is minimal. Mine was 100%.
If this is the case so I would say go for it you really have nothing to
lose.
Peter

--
Remove no & spam to email