Jim Stewart

Default Gadgets and gimics

Michael Haseler wrote:
I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Here's a list of what I consider the bare essentials.
Note that there is no DRO's, no expensive hand measurement
or layout tools, just the bare minimum that your grandpa
had to work with.

Sharpening and finishing
Grinder with 1 fine and 1 medium Norton silicon carbide wheel
Truing tool for grinder
Medium size hand carborundum stone
Pocket Arkansas stone
Pocket diamond stone
220 grit silicon carbide sandpaper
Scotchbrite pads
60 degree thread tool sharpening gauge

Drilling
Good quality number drill set
Good quality fractional "bullet" drill set
A couple large morse taper drills to fit lathe tailstock for roughing
out holes for boring
Good quality countersink tool, 82 degrees

Threading
US made plug taps, 4-40 to 1/4-20 and holder
Screw-adjustable dies, 4-40 to 1/4-20 and holder

Files
Set jeweler's files
10" and 6" Mill *******, second cut and smooth
6" round and trianglar files
Handles for all files

Lathe
3 and 4 jaw chucks
Toolholder, quickchange is nice but not manditory
Jacobs chuck w/correct adapter for tailstock
Dead centers
Plenty of 1/4 and 3/8 HSS blank tools
Boring bar and tool

Mill - bare minimum
Collet set
Wrench for drawbar
Vise
Clamping kit
Right angle block
Cheap set 1-2-3 blocks
Jacobs chuck w/correct adaptor for spindle
1/8, 1/4, 1/2 good quality 4-flute endmills
Edge finder

Mill - good to have when you can afford or need it
2nd right angle block
Flycutter
Rotary table
Boring head and tools
Some 2 flute endmills as needed

Layout
Spray can of blue Dykem
Scriber
Set machinist squares
Set transfer punches
Good center punch

Measuring
6" dial caliper, non-digital
Dial indicator w/arm for sweeping in mill head
12" steel rule
Inch and metric thread gauges
Inch feeler gauges
Jeweler's loup or other magnifier
Some sort of protractor

Misc
Safety glasses
Ear protectors
Set common hand tools
Rubber mallet
2 lb hammer
Cold chisel
Sabre saw and hacksaw with good quality fine and coarse metal blades
Set C-clamps
Machinery's Handbook
Decimal conversion chart, can copy from Machinery's Handbook
Clearance and tap drill size chart, can copy from Machinery's Handbook
Way oil
Cutting fluid
Spindle oil
Gear grease