Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Suggestions on cutting energy bill --

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
: FWIW, Harbor Freight has some really cheap, serviceable
clamp-on
: ammeters. They won't give you all the information a wattmeter
would
: (especially when power factor is important) but they can
nonetheless
: give you some pretty good clues at very low cost.
:
:
: My appretice had a cheap meter. We used it on a service call.
We
: turned the power off at a breaker marked for that unit and
checked it
: with his meter. It showed 0 volts. I started disconnecting a
wire and
: got lit up by 240 volts. We tossed his meter and got mine. A
cheap
: meter can kill you, it certanly will not give you good answers.
I have
: seen many times that cheap meters lie to you (not accurate) but
his was
: the worst.
:
: If you are measuring anything, good tools will give you better
answers.
:
: Stretch
:
Uhhhh, you used a clamp-on to measure VOLTAGE? Or are you
talking about a different kind of cheap meter? (rhetorical only)
You used a meter without knowing it worked? Were the cords
plugged into the right jacks? Set to measure volts & not OFF or
?? . Sounds like a fishtale to me, especially with your
reference to an "appretice" which was probably supposed to lend
credibility?

Pop