DoN. Nichols

Default Antique metal plating question - Answers to sewing machine questions

In article ,
Helen Scarth wrote:
To DoN Nichols -

The B designation on your featherweight means that it was made in
Bonnieres, France. This seems rather unusual and I wonder if perhaps
you've mistaken the B for a K which is more usual. The K means it was
made in Kilbowie, Clydeside, Scotland. E-mail me privately with the
serial number and I'll be able to tell you more accurately.

E-mail sent privately. I did look at the machine, and never
found the 'B' on the model number, so that, I must have picked up from
Sherlock Holmes' address. There was a '-' after the 221, but nothing
more, nor was there space for more, as where it would be was one of the
two rivets holding the plate in place.

Featherweights are popular with some women because they are so light
(13 lbs. for the machine itself) and portable. Purist antique sewing
machine collectors dislike them because they're not people-powered,
ie. a handcrank or a treadle. A few years ago they hit just over $400
on eBay but right now they sell for between $200 and $300 depending on
condition.

Just as well -- I wouldn't want to be tempted to sell it. :-)
And it is in very good condition.

[ ... ]

I do miss the wooden "roll" style boxes, with hinges along
three of the four long edges, and a catch on the forth, with spring
fingers holding down all of the accessories.

Otherwise known as a puzzlebox. This is how Singer packaged
attachments approx. before 1900. They were made of oak and had
dovetailed corners. There are still many for sale on eBay today and
the great majority of the contents will fit on all later Singers.

Nice to know.

Singer used both the bullet shuttle in their VS (vibrating shuttle)
machines and in every other model that has two slide plates; one to
the front and one to the back. The bobbin itself looks like a set of
wheels from a tiny toy car.

Yep -- I remember it well on the old treadle machines. The
bobbin winder had a heart-shaped cam and a follower to guide the thread
into even winds.

All ther domestic Singers have bobbins that look more conventional and
they can all still be bought today. They're the round kind with holes
around the edge.

I wonder whether the holes were to avoid trapped air preventing
a tight wind, or just to save money on metal?

Some models have a built-in bobbin case and a drop-in
bobbin while the Model 16s have the fancy restaurant food dome cover,
otherwise known as a bobbin case.

O.K. So does my Model 221.

If you have any more questions or would like help with any old
machines, don't hesitate to e-mail me privately - e-mail address is
valid but please use a descriptive header/subject line so I don't
delete it as spam.

Oh good -- I did use one which should suffice. I didn't read
the bottom of your article before replying, since it seemed to be aimed
at others.

Thank you all for your help with the slide plate. You've been
terrific and it's a great feeling to find such a friendly, helpful
group.

We're interested in tools. The sewing machines are tools. You
hit us with a very good choice of topic. :-)

Thank you,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564