Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

Default Sanding LDD treated wood

On 17 Jan 2006 19:53:02 -0800, wrote:

Hi Leif
Things are definitly working. Thanks for the tip on wood hrdener. I
am confused as I thought the LDD had to soak into the wood to stabalize
it and yet in Ron Kents article it appears that he just wipes it on and
then turns the wood. You seem to soak it overnight. In any case does
the LDD have to be compleatly removed in order for a finish to adhere
to the work? I like to turn objects with a natural edge on them with
the bark on. To do this I usually treat the bark with CA glue to
ensure that it does not fall off somwhere down the line. Can I use LDD
treatment for works like this.

Rod

Rod, old chap!Please re-read the The World-famous Treatise on LDD. I
would say that most of your answers are to be found there. Briefly,
the article dealt with green wood. It can be immediately turned after
you have cut and stolen your neighbor's tree. He won't recognize it
in the LDD or after it has been turned. Green wood you can soak for a
few minutes if you have to leave the shop for a bit, or can stay on
mounted on the lathe. Can be dangerous. If you are to be gone for a
while, soak it for a few hours, a few months or a few years. Just
don't soak extremely punky wood. The finish will adhere to a slightly
damp object, so put it on immediately to prevent cracking or warping.
I like natural edged bowls also and the CA glue works just fine on
slightly damp ones.

Leif