DoN. Nichols

Default Antique metal plating question

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Don Foreman says...

On 1 Sep 2003 17:51:50 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

At present I have one sewing machine -- a Singer 221B electric
portable which has the same finish (black, with some gold decorative
paint), but a different bobbin setup.

You probably know that the 221B "Featherweight" is highly valued by
quilters.

Oh. Is that the one with the teeny flywheel? It has the
shuttle type bobbin, at least the one ms. Mulligan uses.
Oddly enough, for quilting.

Mine has a "pancake" style bobbin. The bobbin is covered by
something which looks like the metal covers for plates in *really* fancy
restaurants, with a few projections and spring clips added, which rotates
to interleave the two threads.

By "shuttle type" you mean the ones which have the bobbin in a
pointed thing like a rifle bullet which glanced off of something hard,
and is moved back and forth by a two-fingered "hand" under the plates?

Great machine. Just gave one away (found on junk day) to
my neighbor.

I'll agree that mine is a great one -- with what seems to be all
of the accessories (including some duplicates -- e.g. two buttonhole
machines. :-) I do miss the wooden "roll" style boxes, with hinges along
three of the four long edges, and a catch on the forth, with spring
fingers holding down all of the accessories. (This was with the old
treadle style machines my grandparents had.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |