Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

Default Sanding LDD treated wood

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:46:40 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Well I have tried LDD treatment for wood and I am finding that my
sandpaper clogs up immediatly. I think it was Lief that mentioned that
the paper could be tapped on a hard surface and it would clean itself.
I have not found that to be the case. Need help on sanding some spalted
punky birch that has been treated with LDD. By the way that is
Dishwashing Detergent not Automatic Dishwasher Detergent I hope.

Soft brass brush will do the clean. Stiff nylon toothbrush in a pinch.
You don't have to rush to sand while the surface is full of glycerol, you
know. It'll evaporate in a couple of days.

On wet stock - no LDD, just wet - I generally just run a sand at 120 or 150
after spinning out as much moisture as possible, reserving the 220 and 320
for when it's dry (er). They clog too badly, else. Just be careful not to
overheat when it's getting dry.

Yep, high-suds/humectant-added hand washing stuff is what he preaches.
Madge is gone, but we still have Leif.

Well!! You just wait until I have completed all the operations,
George! Ol' Madgie will be back in town!!*G*

A side note about the topic, all the advice given is good. The
thoroughly punked out wood that I have turned, didn't have any green
wood portions, so I didn't bother with LDD. Some punky wood still has
green areas and then I would use LDD. For really punky wood I used
repeated dowsings of wood hardener. Seemed to work just fine!

Definitely dishwashing soap (washing up soap for the more UK/Oz/NZ
oriented?)

Leif