DoN. Nichols

Default Antique metal plating question

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:
On 1 Sep 2003 17:51:50 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

At present I have one sewing machine -- a Singer 221B electric
portable which has the same finish (black, with some gold decorative
paint), but a different bobbin setup.

You probably know that the 221B "Featherweight" is highly valued by
quilters.

Actually -- no, I didn't.

I got it when at an antique cluster (a building with lots of
antique dealers under one roof), when looking through a shop which was
specializing in clocks, and I spotted the black carrying case. It
looked to me like a case for a small button accordion, (and I collect
some types of concertinas), so I asked about it. It was the 221B, which
he had bought for his wife (now deceased), and she had never used it.
He had used it for repairing some lodge uniforms from time to time, but
now decided that it was time to sell it -- so I got it. I have no
memory what it cost, but it was not much, back around 1976 or so.

I use it for repairing of clothes, and for stitching new
thumbstraps for concertinas. (And no -- my wife doesn't use it, either. :-)

Do you know where the model number came from? (Does anyone?)
It keeps reminding me of Sherlock Holmes' address -- 221B Baker street. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |