Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Greg O

Default American Chopper episode got even more reckless

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .

I wished they would make a distinction between "bikers"
and "chopper riders/posers"

The sadsack guy that got the bike went on and on about
how he wanted a bike so bad but couldn't afford one.
Why the fsk didn't he do what we did when we wanted a
bike, buy a beater for $500 and learn how to fix it?

The reality was that he didn't want a bike, he wanted
a $30,000 custom chopper. And that made his life complete.

The thing I get a kick out of it if anyone considered the income tax issue
on OCC giving you a bike! Consider that OCC will probably value the bike at
$40,000 to $50,000, the taxes alone would have made buying the bike you want
look like a good deal!
There was a fellow that won a custom chopper in a local auction. I talked to
him about it one day. He had to pay taxes on the claimed value, $50,000 in
this case, and he has been trying to sell it as he does not want it and
nobody will give him his asking price of $25,000! He has been offered close
$20,000 for it, but he claims it cost him more than $15,000 to "win" the
bike paying the various taxes due. (income and sales tax!) He wishes he had
never won the darned thing, because he figures he will break even on the
deal at best!
These "lucky" people receiving bikes from OCC could probably go buy a new
Harley of their choice for what it will cost them to keep the bike. The only
up side I see is that OCC is still popular enough that they probably could
sell the bike and come out money ahead, but not if they keep it.
Greg