Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
wallster

Default American Chopper episode got even more reckless

"Diamond Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:59:36 -0500, "wallster"
wrote:

I was watching Discovery channel's "American Chopper" last night. In the
past, I've read threads about the disregard of welding helmets while tack
welding, eye protection while grinding, etc. Last night they out did there
lack of safety by filling a balloon with acetylene, setting it on the
ground, pouring gas to it and lighting it.

Done properly it can be a fun blast.
At one shop I worked at we had He for filling attention getting balloons
and an
OA set in the shop. So, with me in ear plugs, gloves and full face shield
filled several balloons with OA while another person filled several
balloons
with He.
With all of them tied together a fuse was fashioned from a strip of paper.
Fuse
lit,the air burst balloons were released and went to about 150 feet before
the
OA went off, it was a beautiful thing. Car alarms went off for blocks,
people
came out of their shops and looked around for the "whatever the hell" made
that
noise. That was the first and last time we did that. But it was a great
blast.
I know, I'm sick.

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kan...er%20truck.htm
How NOT to play with acetylene balloons.