Rex Tincher

Default OT- Crime at a 30 year low

On 2 Sep 2003 15:11:18 -0700, (Cliff Huprich) wrote:

(Cliff Huprich) wrote in message ...

snip
Probably because murder by firearms rates went up quite a bit.

Most of the rest went down but NOT that. *Exactly* as anyone sane
would expect when more people in the US have more guns.

Not exactly. From a recent post to talk.politics.guns: (You can check
these numbers from the CDC link at
http://www.tincher.to/deaths.htm
although I have no reason to doubt them)

------------------------------

From: Peter McMullen
Subject: Firearms preferred choice to commit robberies and murders
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 06:56:45 GMT

OK, Lets tighten up the numbers even further:

the U.S. population in 1973 was 212 Million

http://www.factmonster.com/year/1973.html

the U.S. population in 2000 was 275 Million

http://www.photius.com/wfb2000/count...es_people.html

so the population increase in that period was actually
roughly 30%

according to the BATF there are about 230 million firearms
currently

firearms increased 73% from '73 to '92, from 122 million to
222 million, handguns rose 110%

http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/Polsby/gcsumm.html

http://www.jpfo.org/data-docs.htm

according to the BATF there are about 230 million firearms
in the U.S. or at least an 89% increase since '73

So conservatively the population increased only 30% while
the number of firearms at least 89%, and handguns probably
accounting for most of the increase from 92 to 00 (due to
so-called AW bans and handguns being better suited to most
self defense, along with a probable decrease in hunting
rifle sales) yet:

total firearms crimes per 100k population 1973 = 171
total firearms crimes per 100k population 2000 = 121

171 - 171x = 121
171x = 50
x = 50/171 or a roughly 30% reduction

total murders per 100k w/ firearms 1973 = 6.2
total murders per 100k w/ firearms 2000 = 3.6

same story

The statistical trends actually correlate with tougher
criminal sentences, anti-gang legislation and enforcement,
and pro CCW legislation, which began in the early '90's.

-----------------------------

Peter McMullen didn't mention that crack cocaine started going out of
style in 1990. Gun control lobbyists always count nineteen-year-old
drug dealers as children because so darned many of them shoot each
other, and more child gun deaths means more support for gun control.

Note to folks:
I crossposted this to rec.guns which seems to be moderated. It took
about a week for the moderators to approve it.

IF you want anyone to soon see any responses/replies to YOUR
posts don't crosspost to rec.guns. Seems like the moderated groups must first
approve a post before anyone else sees it.

If you crosspost to multiple moderated groups ... shudder.

Yep, you've figured out how moderated groups work.

BTW, THIS post does NOT go to rec.guns.

You made a mistake, admitted it, and then learned from it. I'm sorry,
but you are over-qualified to be a gun control lobbyist. Have you
considered joining the NRA?

--
"I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded
it into my little car and drove home. It seemed so incredibly