Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Don Bruder

Default American Chopper episode got even more reckless

In article vSdzf.496702$084.153837@attbi_s22,
"Dave Lyon" wrote:

"AL" wrote in message
news
Doesn't acetylene combust spontaneously at around 15psi?

I hope not. I got about 250 psi in my tank right now.

Does it have to be in the presence of oxygen?

Yes, no oxygen, no fire.

Incorrect, Dave.

See my other post for more detail. In summary: Pure acetylene at 15-ish
pounds doesn't "burn", a process which does indeed require oxygen.
Instead, it "deflagrates", a process of chemical breakdown that has no
need whatsoever for oxygen to be present in order to happen. (presence
of oxygen may in fact inhibit deflagration in some cases) The only
commonality between the two processes is that they both generate a lot
of heat.

(Something capable of deflagration doesn't even need to be "flammable"
as the term is generally used - It might be something you can't light by
putting a torch to it, but it's still possible for deflagration to
happen, resulting in an explosion)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info