Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Strange Screws

According to Folkert Rienstra :
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Folkert Rienstra :

Please, do not use Reply-To addresses in attribution lines. Get a decent newsclient, or change
your attribution line, like everyone else.

I assure you, trn 4 is a decent news reader, and substituting in the Reply-To for
From: is actually the right thing to do if the attribution line is to have anything
in it resembling the followup'd to user's address.

Spammers aren't stupid enough to ignore Reply-To headers - in fact, smart
ones would be scraping them in _preference_ to From: headers.

And those that scrape the whole message (which is why you're worried about
my attribution, right?) will scrape the reply-to _too_. So, you're shooting
yourself in the foot far more than the occasional followup from someone
using reasonable newsreader attribution defaults like me.

If you want to avoid Usenet scrapers, you need to not mention your real
email address AT ALL, or munge it.

Eg: "folkertdashrienstra (at) wanadoo.nl", or ".

Reply-To is not a useful approach for evading Usenet email address scrapers.
If you don't want to get it scraped, _don't_ imagine that Reply-To will hide it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est