Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default How to make Oland tools ?

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
With this type of tool, I assume you can't really rub the bevel since it
is
a scraper that must be presented with neutral or negative rake. I would
think a bowl gouge would make for a much smoother finish since you can rub
the bevel behind the cutting edge. I have an Ellsworth hollowing video
and
what he uses seems about the same unless it has a steeper grind. I have a
tool like this with a fairly long handle and have used it for certain
chores, but I can't see how they can replace a bowl gouge. Am I missing
something?

Yep, you can rub the bevel. Shear "scraping" isn't really scraping, as in
across the surface, rather cutting on a very narrow face.

Truth is, a broad gouge will make a smoother finish than a bowl gouge wing
because you can rake it rearward and inward to minimize ridging. What you do
is mostly what you were taught, rather than the "only" way.