Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Default How to make Oland tools ?

With this type of tool, I assume you can't really rub the bevel since it is
a scraper that must be presented with neutral or negative rake. I would
think a bowl gouge would make for a much smoother finish since you can rub
the bevel behind the cutting edge. I have an Ellsworth hollowing video and
what he uses seems about the same unless it has a steeper grind. I have a
tool like this with a fairly long handle and have used it for certain
chores, but I can't see how they can replace a bowl gouge. Am I missing
something?

Derek