Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default How to make Oland tools ?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:23:26 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Set screws don't bite well on the hard HSS inserted bits, so they
sometimes slip enough for vibration to loosen the set screw. You might
want to roughen or grind a tiny slot down the 'set screw side' of the
bit.

I've never had one loosen on me, Arch.. and I use a single set screw where 2
might be better..

It could be that I change the length fairly often... either adding a little
reach or shortening the bit for close work...

I guess it could be that because I'm loosening and tightening the set screw a
lot and not giving it a chance to loosen?

It might also be that because the set screw is forcing the square bit towards
the side of a round hole, it wedges well and therefor less vibration??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing