Posted to rec.woodworking
Harland

Default Should I fire this guy because he bought his degree from the internet?

No, dont fire him......

Wood Butcher wrote:
You describe Thomas as competent, great personal skills, able to
complete projects better than any of the other techs, and a friend.

Now you are considering firing him. On what basis? Lying on his
resume? He didn't lie. YOU failed to perform due diligence and
check his credentials. You think internet degrees are unethical?
You certainly have a right to your opinion but that's not sufficient
basis for legal action.

Does your company have a written policy re internet degrees?
How about degrees from other places like the University of
Phoenix, which has brick & mortar classrooms and which also
gives credit for work experience. Does your policy reject
regular university degrees where credits from junior/community
colleges were accepted? If not, I doubt that you have a case
for firing Thomas.

As an employer I'd be thankful for Thomas as an employee. I've
had many employees with "Regular University" degrees who were
totally incompetent.

If you do fire him using your stated rationale, expect a lawsuit.
Which you will likely lose. And you may also lose your own
job in the process.

Art

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey guys, I posted this on another board and the verdict I got was to
fire him. Since I've been lurking here for a while I thought I'd post
it here for some more advice.

A couple years ago I hired a guy named Thomas as a senior tech for a
small datacenter I run in California. He always seemed like a pretty
competent worker. Thomas had great personal skills, came into work
on-time, and pretty much completed projects better than any of the
other techs in our facility. He seemed like a pretty intelligent guy,
actually. I've even had dinner with his wife and young daughter on
occasion. I generally consider him a friend.

The other day I invited him to my house to hang out and have a few
drinks. At one point in the evening we were shooting the **** and
talking about the worst things we've ever done in our lives. I
regaled him with a tale about how I stole expensive clothes from
department stores as a teenager and he told me about how he once sent
explicit pictures of his cheating ex-girlfriend inserting a toothbrush
into her ass to her parents. I laughed and passed him another drink.

I guess he was getting a little too tipsy because a little later he
related a story about how he got his college degree in philosophy. We
don't require college degrees, but we generally hire and give greater
pay to candidates with the degree over the candidate without one.
Thomas said that he bought it off the internet for $450 from some
website called The Transnational Council for something something. He
wrote the domain http://www.tcge.org on a napkin and said that he had
listed the degree he got through them on the resume he sent my
secretary two years ago. I've heard this website discussed before.
Apparently they represent universities who grant degrees based on
"work history" and "previous college credits." There's no
actual university attendance. Now I'm not sure what to do. Company
policy is to terminate people who lie on their resumes, but he
doesn't seem like that bad of a guy. The website he got his degree
from looks like what they're doing is pretty unethical. But I guess
the degree is technically legal. Should I fire him because he bought
his degree from the internet instead of attending a regular university?

What he did was pretty crooked. I think I might decide to fire him over
this. If you were his employer what would you do?