Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default How do you measure runout on drill press?

Where are these set crews positioned?

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:22:52 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Alex :

I have a quill play in my Frox Shop 17" drill press.
When rotating with no load the runout is just 0.002" but if you move chuck with your
hands back and forth test indicator shows 0.030 runout. Woodstock Int. (manufacturer of
all Fox Shop tools) warranty guy is saying that I am not suppose to try to move chuck
while measuring runout. "The right way" to measure runout is to do it while drill runs
on lowest speed with no load.

What you are measuring is quill slop, not runout. The runout is
your no-load measurement. But -- that amount of slop in the quill is
fairly common on import drill presses -- unless you are *very* lucky.

Quill set screw is already tighten to the point when I can hardly move spindle up/down

That only controls slop in one direction -- you need another
setscrew to control it at right angles to the current support. And I'm
not sure whether tightening a setscrew against the side (or front) of
the quill, without something to spread the load, is that good an idea
anyway.

Note that old drill presses often were split with a clamping
screw to close the split. This was normally used to hold the quill
extended while you did something -- but could also be used to take up
the slop in the quill to headstock interface.

BTW I just tied to drill 3/8 hole in 1/4 thick mild steel and can see that when drill
bit is half way through "hole" is somewhat triangular. After the hole is through it
looks pretty round with rough walls. Is it suppose to be like that or it's because of
runout?

That slop allows the drill to play like the ones which drill
square holes, except that the square holes ones have three flutes, and a
two-flute one would drill a triangular hole.

The work-around for that is to use a 3/8" center drill to start
the hole. It will start better in the center punch hole, and if you
take it down to the point where it is at the full 3/8" diameter, and
perhaps 1/8" deep at the full diameter, that will guide the drill bit so
it will do a better job.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Depending on the casting design of the head..Ive had fair luck with
drilling 3 holes in the head casting, tapping them, and then inserting
a sliding fit bronze plug, followed by a setscrew in each hole. Some
drill presses have something similar from the factory. A rather well
made Taiwanese drill press I own has two off set holes with bronze
plugs and screws, acessable by removing the sheet metal data plate on
the front of the head.

Ive done a couple worn Deltas this way over the years. While not
perfect..made them pretty usable.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin