Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default How do you measure runout on drill press?

Thanx, Grant for posting the URL to your excellent article on drill presses!
This time I book-marked it. Your articles on 4 x 6 saws and drill presses
are the best I've ever seen on the subjects. The information contained in
them is in the "must know" catagory for anyone seeking to tool up a basic
shop.

Bob Swinney

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Alex wrote:

I have a quill play in my Frox Shop 17" drill press.
When rotating with no load the runout is just 0.002" but if you move
chuck with your hands back and forth test indicator shows 0.030 runout.
Woodstock Int. (manufacturer of all Fox Shop tools) warranty guy is
saying that I am not suppose to try to move chuck while measuring
runout. "The right way" to measure runout is to do it while drill runs on
lowest speed with no load.

They are correct. You aren't returning the machine because of runout, you
are returning the machine for excessive slop in the quill. Get your money
back, and next time read http://www.tinyisland.com/htbdrillp.txt before
buying one, and don't buy an import DP without inspecting it in person.

GWE